The location of The Old Pottery Place is among the most historically significant commercial sites in Laguna Beach. Initially the site of a small home, then the Yum-Yum Tea Room, in 1936 it was to become the home of The Pottery Shack and remain so for the next 66 years. With a trailer load of “seconds” from J.A. Bauer’s Glendale factory, The Pottery Shack flourished as a destination for residents and visitors alike combing through stacks of pottery and collectibles. The founding Childs’ family retired in 1972 and sold their business to Pier One Imports with its intention of using the brand and concept as the basis for national expansion. With these plans aborted, it passed back into private hands and in 2004 one of Laguna’s favorite shopping places closed its retail store.
In 2006, after two years of caring renovation, 'The Shack' was lovingly reborn as The Old Pottery Place, providing a home for an array of distinctive shops, food purveyors, and offices once again welcoming visitors from around the globe. What in essence became “a cobbled together set of buildings leaning against one another” was renovated in compliance with The Secretary of Interior’s specifications for historical structures and under the auspices of the Laguna Beach Heritage Committee. Many of the structures, materials, and features of the original site can be seen both outside and inside the stores and office.
The Shops at The Old Pottery Place
VOGUE SALON | Suite 104 | (949) 376-7600 | www.voguesalon.com
Voted one of the best salons in Orange County by Harper’s Bazaar. We are committed to enriching the lives of our clients through impeccable service and by creating fabulous hair. Pottery Place Parking Garage.
©2007 The Old Pottery Place. All Rights Reserved.